Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Where do they rank?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member 6_4_3's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2005
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Where do they rank?

    Where does this J.J.Kelly state championship team rank against the other 8 championship teams?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    It is hard to rank them,as we have had some great baseball teams over the years. I gotta say that if heart,grit,and toughness is a factor in ranking a team,you have to rank them high. Down 9-5 with a history of struggling at Radford,and they didn't flinch. It is nice to just be having this discussion [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    More than likely they probably fall middle of the pack. Thats not bad company though.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ChrisSabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    762
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    Bottom 3rd.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    I've seen them all and this team had the best work ethic of any of them, and that is no slight on the other 8.

    But who cares, the only ranking that matters is being number 1 in the state for 2008.

    I will say this, the competition to win a state championship is much greater now than it was back in the 80s. I'd venture to say 20-25 schools have dropped from the AA ranks since the first Kelly baseball State Championship.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    I can definitely agree with that Sportsman. Back then, JJK was one of the biggest schools in all of Group A I would wager. Now, they are still a large school, but only in the top 1/3 in stead of top 1/20th or whatever it may have been. I would have a hard time putting this above any team with Doug Bates pitching on it. That is part of the reason I would have suggested somewhere in the middle.

    All that matters though is where you finish when YOU have the opportunity. This team got it done and congrats to them.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    By Tim Hayes

    Published: June 8, 2008

    When David Wyrick took over the J.J. Kelly High School baseball program, he made a promise to himself and to his players.

    "I'm going to work as hard as I can,"? Wyrick told the Bristol Herald Courier in the summer of 2002, shortly after accepting the head coaching position. "I'm going to demand a lot out of the kids, but in return, I'll give them everything I've got."?

    Fast forward to Saturday afternoon at Radford University. As his players accepted the Virginia High School League Group A state championship trophy after posting a 14-9 win over Essex, Wyrick stood in the background as the players hoisted the trophy high.

    He also sported a huge smile. His wife and two daughters congratuled him, as well as the large contingent of fans that made the trip from Wise to the New River Valley.

    "Ever since I was a player, it was a dream to win a state championship,"? Wyrick said. "I've had to wait 30-some years. It's one of the best days of my life."?

    Wyrick's journey has been interesting. He was a standout player at Knoxville's Powell High School and later played collegiately at Milligan.

    He eventually landed the head coaching job at St. Paul and helped the Deacons establish themselves as a perennial Cumberland District power. In fact, Wyrick led St. Paul to five Cumberland District championships.

    But when he moved across Wise County to take the position at Kelly, he faced a big challenge and probably even some doubt from observers.

    He took over for Mack Shupe, the winningest coach in VHSL history, and the Indians were coming off two consecutive appearances in the state title game. Many people felt without
    Shupe in the dugout and with the loss of some key players, Kelly's program might enter a down cycle.

    Wyrick and his team proved them wrong.

    The state tourney appearances didn't stop. The wins still outnumbered the losses on the ledger. The talent was still there.

    "Nobody thought this would be the Kelly baseball of old,"? J.J. Kelly infielder Matt Dotson said following the title-game victory. "I think we showed Kelly baseball is here to stay. We haven't lost anything."?

    The Wise talent pool doesn't appear to be drying up either. While Kelly loses five seniors off the title team, a talented junior class will look to lead the Indians to a repeat and the 10th title in school history next spring.

    Saturday was a banner day for Southwest Virginia athletics. Along with Kelly's baseball team, the area racked up on title trophies in tennis.

    But perhaps no coach felt more fulfilled than Wyrick.

    "Coach Wyrick ? you couldn't ask for a better coach or a better person,"? senior shortstop/pitcher Cody Bentley said. "I wouldn't play for anybody else. He told us just go out there and believe."?

    And his previous words rang true. Wyrick's players worked hard and gave everything they had and he did the same in return.

    The end result: A state title.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Widespread_Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    That's a tough question. I'd put some of the Kelly teams that didn't win state ahead of a few of the teams that did win if you were just going by talent alone. Chad Longworth's group comes to mind as well as some of those late 70's teams that had Robin Dotson and Charlie Beverly. Those teams didn't win state but they were just as good, if not better, than some of the teams that did win the championship.
    The test is simple, if "your" team wins a national championship, do you get a championship ring? If the answer is yes, then you can say "we." If not, you can't.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_thetruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2006
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    are we really having this discussion?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member StateChamps92's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2004
    Posts
    367
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Where do they rank?

    STATE CHAMPS!!! That's all the discussion those boys need. Great job Tribe!!!
    "Do or do not, there is no try"...Yoda

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •